by Tony Fleming
This is the best and simplest tomato sauce recipe. Taken from 3 michelin starred Oak Room in 2001 when I worked there. Adapted here to use smoked paprika. Serve with fish (mullet or snapper) or pasta and pork.
Smoked tomato cumin and sauce
- 3 onions medium dice
- 1 head of garlic split in two
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large sprig thyme
- 2 dessert spoons smoked paprika
- 4 dessert spoons cumin powder
- 4 dessert powder cumin seed
- 1 dessert spoon tomato puree
- 20 over-ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half and de-seeded
- 1.5 litres tomato juice
1. In heavy bottom pan roast the onion and garlic in butter until slightly browned.
2. Add cumin and paprika, roast again for 3-4mins
3. Add thyme and bay and cook for 4 more mins
4. Add puree, cook out for five minutes
5. Add tomatoes, season well and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down.
6. Cover with tomato juice, boil, re-season.
7. Cover with a cartouche and foil.
8. Cook in oven at 120 degrees centigrade for two hours approx
9. Take out of oven, leave 30 mins and pump through a fine sieve.